Medford Fire-Rescue will have a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony to open the new Fire Station #4 at 2208 Table Rock Road on Friday, March 17, 2017 at 10:30 AM.
City Councilors, City Manager Brian Sjothun, and members of the Project Team are scheduled to attend. During the ceremony Medford Fire-Rescue Honor Guard will raise the flag, while the Pipes and Drum team plays. Medford Fire-Rescue crew members will back a fire engine into the new station to place it in service.
Chief Officers will be available at the event for media questions and tours.
Firefighter from Medford Fire Rescue and Jackson County Fire District 3 responded to a man who slipped in the the cold waters of Bear Creek and was needed to be rescued.
Firefighters from Medford Station 4 arrived first on the scene finding a very cold, wet and shivering man clinging to the brush atop a small rocky area some 20 feet off shore. Recent rains and snow had the waters in the creek elevated and moving swiftly. Rescuers quickly identified the man was in danger and used water rescue training and equipment to access the man, provide a life jacket and develop a plan on moving him to safety.
District 3 Technical Rescue Team members arrived and provided a safe means to surround and walk the victim across the low fast moving water to the safety of the shoreline. He was assisted to the awaiting ambulance for treatment, warming and transportation for hypothermia.
We are not often faced with water rescues on Bear Creek. This rescue posed a true emergency for the victim and by the efforts of both Fire Agencies the victim was rescued. Mercy Flights Inc. provided critical on scene support, lighting and immediate care and treatment of the man once on shore.
Response to the emergency included 4 fire engines, 1 ATV rescue vehicle, 1 water rescue raft, 2 Battalion Chiefs, 1 ambulance crew, 1 ambulance supervisor. A total of 17 rescuers provided for the safe rescue of the stranded victim.
All rescue personel returned safely to duty after the emergency.
On February 1st, 2017 local Rogue Valley fire and EMS agencies kicked off the PulsePoint program in Southern Oregon. The PulsePoint program is a mobile app that enables members of the public to "follow" local fire agencies, and they can subscribe to being notified of a nearby cardiac arrest if they know how to do CPR. Within the first month of the program, Medford Fire-Rescue had 4 cardiac arrest incidents in a public place, and 22 nearby mobile devices were alerted to the need for CPR. Studies have shown that for every minute that CPR or an AED is delayed; the chances for survival from a cardiac arrest significantly decrease.
Medford Fire-Rescue already has had over 400 members of the public sign up as "citizen CPR providers" through the system. Members of the public can download the PulsePoint app on iOS or Android devices. More information on the PulsePoint program can be found at www.pulsepoint.org For information on learning CPR, call Medford Fire-Rescue at 541-774-2300.
Beginning March 1 and continuing until fire season is declared, residential burning of yard trimmings, leaves and brush is allowed on declared burn days outside the City limits of Medford, in Medford Rural Fire Protection District #2 by permit only. Debris burning is prohibited within the City limits of Medford. This burning is also allowed in the fall after fire season is declared over through October 31. See the attached brochure for tips on how to legally and safely dispose of yard trimmings.
Medford Rural Fire Protection District #2 residents may obtain a permit at the following location: http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=3617
On February 28, 2017 at 1807 hours Medford Fire Rescue, with assistance from Jacksonville Fire, and Fire District No 3 responded to a Structure Fire located at 1905 Orchard Home Drive. A total of five Fire Engines, 2 Battalion Chiefs, and one Fire Investigator responded to the fire.
The first unit arrived on scene at 1812 hours and confirmed there was an active fire in the attic of a house. Firefighters used chain saws to access the fire burning in the attic space and inside the walls. The fire was brought under control in 10 minutes. There were no reported injuries at the fire. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The occupants of the home were unaware of the fire until a neighbor knocked on the door and advised them to evacuate. The home had no working smoke detector. Medford Fire Rescue installed a working smoke detector before leaving the scene.