Media Roundtable on Washington standards and testing
This spring, Washington is testing its new learning standards in math and English language arts. For the first time, students in Washington will take computer-based Smarter Balanced exams in grades 3-8 and high school.
The Ready Washington coalition invites members of the media to learn more about the standards and testing on March 25 from 10-11:30 a.m. State education leaders and local educators (superintendents, principals and teachers) will available at the media workshop to answer questions.
We will cover information about the state's learning standards and the new Smarter Balanced assessments.
Media members can attend in person or via Webinar/conference call.
Please RSVP to Nathan Olson, communications manager at the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, at email@example.com
What: Media Roundtable
When: March 25, 10-11:30 a.m.
Where: Puget Sound ESD Training & Conference Center
800 Oakesdale Ave SW, Renton, WA 98057
Cedar Room, 1st Floor
Please join the meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/919971685
Conf line: 1-877-366-0711; 69308676#
Find Ready Washington on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and at www.ReadyWA.org
High school art show celebrates exceptional student artwork (Photo)
Student artists from throughout Southwest Washington will be recognized for their outstanding artwork at the 2015 Southwest Washington Regional High School Art Show, sponsored and hosted by Educational Service District 112.
Now it its 42nd year, the art show is one of the few opportunities for area art students to receive recognition and exposure for their work. The art show received 240 entries this year from high school students from throughout the six-county region of Southwest Washington. The artwork is on display at ESD 112, 2500 NE 65th Avenue in Vancouver through March 31.
The opening reception and ceremony presentation will take place Wednesday, March 18, 5-7 p.m., at ESD 112. The Gallery will open at 5 p.m. and the awards program begins at 6 p.m.
Eighteen pieces will receive Regional Awards and will compete against entries from around Washington State in the Annual State Superintendent of Public Instruction Art Show in Olympia in April. Additionally, new this year, Central Washington University awarded four outstanding art pieces with CWU Scholarship Awards, three with $1,000 scholarships and one with a $2,000 scholarship award. The following student artists won awards for their pieces:
Regional Award Winners:
* Cait Ryan, Ridgefield High School, "The Viking"
* Elise Baron, Kelso High School, "They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To"
* Ruby Becker, Vancouver School of Arts & Academics, "The Unseen"
* Jung Lee, Mountain View High School, "Bird"
* Keeley Prestwich, Prairie High School, "Marysville"
* Elise Baron, Kelso High School, "Fur Elise"
* Emily Atwell, Prairie High School, "Sea Turtle"
* Grace Arsenault, Vancouver School of Arts & Academics, "Portrait of Ellie"
* Austin Moreland, Hudson's Bay High School, "Mountain"
* Kaitlyn Wolfe, Henrietta Lacks High School, "Sun Dial"
* Neve Duran, Evergreen High School, "Swans"
* Hannah Barnwell, Kelso High School, "Castiel"
* Bella Kustar, Hudson's Bay High School, "Hope"
* Nicole Dean, Henrietta Lacks High School, "We Are Star Stuff"
* Maya Breasler, Washougal High School, "Sunrise"
* Svelyhia Khoumngeune, Heritage High School "Turtle Vase"
* Ada White, Mountain View High School, "An Elephant of Cards"
* Hannah Jeung, Evergreen High School, "Aphrodite"
ESD 112 Award Winners:
* Keeley Prestwich, Prairie High School, "Funny Face & Pretty Thoughts"
* Tenzing Dorjee, Evergreen High School, "Dancing Queen"
* Stephanie Sells, Prairie High School, "Untitled"
* Sara Levy, Henrietta Lacks High School, "One Wish"
* Chelsie Bejamin, R.A Long High School/ On Track Program, "Inside Myself"
* Cooper Lucas, Woodland High School, "Shell"
* Kristin Mury, Kelso High School, "Times Square"
* Kevin Kang, Mountain View High School, "Charmed"
* Emma Craciun, Vancouver School of Arts & Academics, "Inside-Out Silhouette"
* Mariyah Hutton, Loowit High School "Exo Exo"
Honorable Mention Award Winners:
* Daniel Gershun, Union High School, "Red and Black Round Reed Basket"
* Grace Arsenault, Vancouver School of Arts & Academics, "Kohlrabi Girl"
* Malynne Castro, Kelso High School, "Babies in Bloom"
* Jonah Warberg, Mountain View High School, "My Silly Self & Little Lover"
* Alexandria Rilling, Henrietta Lacks High School, "Crack the Egg"
* Ana Stoumbos, Vancouver School of Arts & Academics, "Annabelle"
* Jill Solonga, Ridgefield High School, "The Big Red Door"
* Elizabeth Bronder, Hudson's Bay High School, "Relaxed Bowl"
* Payden Carterby, Kelso High School, "Willow Grove"
* Storm Reid, Kelso High School, "Thend" "Revelation" "Adadpt"
* Allie Jenkins, Hudson's Bay High School, "Dramatic"
* Landyn Gellerson, Skyview High School, "Leaving On"
* Max Buquoi, Evergreen High School, "Tricky Children"
Central Washington University Scholarship Awards:
$1000 Scholarship Award:
* Symone Camargo, Mountain View High School, "Connect the Dots"
* Keely Prestwich, Prairie High School, "Funny Face & Pretty Thoughts"
* Olivia Bonebrake, Ridgefield High School "Nothing is Real Anyways"
$2000 Scholarship Award:
* Elise Baron, Kelso High School,"Fur Elise"
ESD 112 Staff Choice Award:
* Bradlee Thielen, R.A. Long High School, "My Better Half"