Sweet Home Fire Dist.
Emergency Messages as of 2:25 am, Mon. May. 29
No information currently posted. Operating as usual.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Sweet Home Fire Dist. Please use any browser other than Internet Explorer.
Primary email address for a new account:

Emergency Alerts News Releases  


Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
18472645_171263753403406_1612020191_o.jpg
18472645_171263753403406_1612020191_o.jpg
Improper wiring ignites marijuana grow causing significant damage to home (Photo) - 05/14/17

On Saturday May 13th at 6:09 pm the Sweet Home Fire District received a report of a structure fire at 40812 Highway 228. When crews arrived the homeowner reported that there was a fire in his upstairs marijuana grow room. With assistance from Lebanon Fire crews were able to knock the fire down within one hour. One apparatus remained on scene throughout the night extinguishing hot spots hidden in void spaces. These void spaces were caused by multiple additions through the home which complicated firefighting efforts. The fire caused significant damage to the home and most of the contents were damage by smoke. This morning a joint investigation was conducted to determine the cause of the fire. Investigators from the Oregon State Police, Oregon State Fire Marshal, Linn County Sheriff's office, and Linn-Benton Fire Investigation Team concluded that the fire was caused by improper use of extension cords which ran the high power marijuana grow lamps. Extension cords are not intended for permanent use and please be cautious to no overload electrical circuits.