Grants Pass Fire/Rescue
Emergency Messages as of 10:09 am, Wed. Jun. 7
No information currently posted.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Grants Pass Fire/Rescue.
Primary email address for a new account:


Manage my existing Subscription

News Releases
Fire Season Restrictions go into effect June 1st within the City of Grants Pass (Photo) - 05/30/23

Fire Season begins Thursday, June 1st, at 12:01 a.m. The fire danger level will be “Low” (green). The adopted City Municipal Code 9.15 Regulated Closure Fire Restrictions will take effect at that time.

Beginning Thursday, the following restrictions will take effect:  

  • Smoking in areas of flammable vegetation is prohibited.
  • Open fires are prohibited, including campfires, cooking fires, and warming fires, except at locations designated by the Fire Marshal. Still allowed will be natural gas, propane, and charcoal BBQ’s, smokers as well as natural gas and propane ornamental fires.
  • Power saw use is permitted all day during low fire danger. Each power saw is required to have one shovel and one fire extinguisher of at least 8-ounce capacity. A Firewatch of at least one hour is required following the use of each saw.
  • Cutting, grinding, and welding of metal in areas of flammable vegetation is permitted all day during low fire danger.
  • The mowing of dry, cured grass is permitted all day during low fire danger.
  • Motor vehicles, including motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, are only allowed on improved roads free of flammable vegetation, except for the culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
  • Any other spark-emitting internal combustion engine in areas of flammable vegetation not specifically mentioned is permitted when conducted in a cleared area and a charged garden hose or one 2 ½ pound or larger fire extinguisher is immediately available.
  • The City Fire Marshal or an authorized representative may, in writing, approve a modification or waiver of these requirements.


For more information about the City of Grants Pass Fire Season regulations, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau at 541-450-6200

Attached Media Files: Fire_Season_(1).png
Family of Four Rescued from Rogue River After Canoe Flip (Photo) - 05/28/23

Grants Pass, OR – On May 27, 2023, at approximately 5:37 PM, multiple units from Grants Pass Fire, Rural Metro Fire, AMR-Josephine County, and the Josephine County Sheriff's Office responded to a report of a family of four who had flipped over in a canoe on the Rogue River near Chinook Park, east of Grants Pass. 


All four occupants were thrown into the current and ended up in different spots along the river. A rescue boat from Grants Pass Fire’s Parkway Fire Station was able to launch from Chinook Park and safely extract the occupants to shore. The Sheriff's Office Marine Deputy provided support to the operation. 


The four occupants were not wearing life jackets and were subsequently transported to the hospital due to exposure to the cold-water temperature. 


This incident serves as a reminder to all who seek recreation on local rivers to be mindful of the strong currents and cold water. Life jackets should be worn whenever boating in case of a mishap like this where you unexpectedly find yourself in the water, especially in potentially unstable crafts such as canoes or kayaks. 


Here are some additional safety tips to keep in mind when boating on the Rogue River: 

Always wear a life jacket. 

Check the weather forecast before you go and be aware of the river conditions. 

Never boat alone. 

Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back. 

Be aware of your surroundings and avoid hazards such as rocks, trees, and other boats. 

Be prepared for the unexpected.

Attached Media Files: IMG_4754.jpg , IMG_4750.jpg , Attach0.jpg
Grants Pass Fire Rescue Responds to Residential Structure Fire (Photo) - 05/11/23

Grants Pass, OR – On 5/10/2023 at approximately 4:41 PM, Grants Pass Fire Rescue responded to a report of a structure fire in the 900 block of Fruitdale Drive. Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke showing from the single-story residential home. Firefighters quickly contained the fire within 10 minutes of arrival. The fire was contained to the room of origin with heavy smoke damage throughout the home.  Grants Pass Fire Rescue was assisted by Grants Pass Police Department and Rural Metro Fire Department. Nearby residents also helped by pulling a hose to a fire hydrant. No injuries were reported, but an animal succumbed to the smoke.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a candle burning in a bedroom. 

Grants Pass Fire Rescue recommends the following safety tips for using candles:

  • Always place candles on a stable, non-flammable surface.
  • Keep candles at least three feet away from anything that can burn, such as curtains, furniture, and bedding.
  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Extinguish candles before going to bed or leaving the house.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.

For more information on fire safety, please visit the Grants Pass Fire Rescue website at